Monday, January 28, 2008

the best 5 months ever...


Maddie is 5 months old today! I cant believe how quickly this time has gone and how amazing its been. She's a perfect little angel and I wouldn't change a thing about her. She's developing so quickly... and lately it seems like every day she's doing something new. Here's a quick rundown.

Toys are fun!
Of course, toys are fun... but up until now I felt like toys were just a way to distract her from crying or getting bored. Now she's really "playing" with her toys. She really loves the soft blocks she got from her Aunt Lorla and flowers below from Ms Stef. She grabs at things and turns wheels. She really loves all the lights and noises her toys make. And she LOVES the exersaucer! She'll sit in it for a long time completely entertained by the sun, the star, the cow and cat noises and mirror. And she is really getting into books now. She watches and listens intently and I swear it seems like she grabs onto the corners of the book and turns the pages.




Rollin' Rollin' Rollin'
Now this is a little outdated. She first really rolled from her belly to her back in December but she had only done its sporadically since then and really hates tummy time. She still hates tummy time but she'll roll over more consistently. She's also looking like she's about to roll from her back to her tummy. She has the back to side down really well.



Chatty Cathy
The girl has found her voice. She talks up a storm and makes the funniest sounds. She likes doing her scales and changing the decibel too. She's got a set of lungs on her. And she has the sweetest little giggle you've ever heard. On Saturday she started giggling when Tucker walked by. So of course, we made him walk by about 100 times so we could hear her laugh over and over again. We caught it on videocamera. Im not sure if we're smart enough to put that video online or not. I will if we can. Lately she's been rolling her lips into her mouth doing a really good old lady without her teeth impression.



Thumbs or No Thumbs?
Maddie likes her pacifier but I wouldn't say she's addicted to it and although she has found her thumb and will put it in her mouth- Im not sure she gets that she could suck it. Or maybe she does but just isn't into it. Either way Im happy- it means she doesnt HAVE to have anything to go to sleep at night or even settle down. She's also figured out how to take her paci out of her mouth but not necessarily how to put it back in.


Who Needs Sleep?
Well, I do. But apparently Maddie doesn't. We were certainly spoiled the last few months being able to put her down with little fuss at 7:30pm and she'd sleep straight until 5am where she'd eat and go right back to sleep. She's been really fussy at night lately and getting up every two hours or so. It could be a variety of things including teething but we're hoping it normalizes soon.

All Liquid Diet
She's still on breastmilk only but will start rice cereal at the end of February. Im so proud of what a great eater she is and that we're almost at 6 months breastfeeding. My goal was to make it to 3 months, so Im happy. Although I will say she seems to stare much more intently at us when we're eating our dinner. I think its almost time!
Magic Daycare
How do they get her down for 3 naps during the day in a crib by herself? I dont know if they pump some kind of sedative into the ventilation system there or if they're just magic but since day one Maddie has gone down for naps with no problem for them. She'll nap at home with me but prefers to be in my arms. Im okay with it - I know I wont have this luxury much longer. I think she likes daycare. She never cries when I leave her and is always very content when we go to pick her up. The ladies who work there are so sweet and genuinely love babies. One of the women has been there 8 years! Im happy we chose to use our church daycare and it seems like every week Im seeing more and more people I know dropping their kids off there so I know it has to be a good place.

Splish Splash
Maddie loves loves loves to take a bath. When we put her in she kicks her legs like crazy and makes a mess. Its so cute. I hope she takes to the pool the same way this summer!
And last - some one wanted me to mention that he was the first baby and not to forget about him.

3 comments:

Ellen and John said...

It sounds like she might be getting some teeth. You should try a little tylenol at night and see if that settles her down. Teething usually hurts the most when they are trying to sleep. Just a suggestion. It worked for me...twice!

Ellen

Jamie said...

What a great recap! She is beautiful and sounds like she's as smart as her mommy (& daddy too)!

Mere said...

i was hoping to be the 10,000th blogger...but i totally got bypassed!!!!