Friday, December 14, 2007

worst. travel experience. ever.

Maddie and I made it to Nana and Pop-Pops house today just 27 hours after leaving Atlanta. Yup. 27 hours.

Never again will I ever take a non-direct flight. Ever. Anywhere. I don't care if its costs $500 dollars more to fly direct... it will be worth it.

So - for those of you who aren't aware... Nana and Pop-Pops live in Southeastern Mass. and the closest airport is Providence. Maddie and I were traveling up there to start our Christmas celebration early and got caught in DC because of a huge snowstorm hitting the northeast. The storm hit 4 hours earlier than "predicted" and the airport shut down just 2 hours after the snow started... when does that happen? We were stranded after sitting in the airport for 6 hours waiting for them to officially cancel our flight. The guy at the ticket counter had the nerve to tell me my "best bet" was to take the Amtrak train... which was 7-8 hours. He has obviously never had to take care of a 3 month old baby. We eventually made it to a hotel in Crystal City (sans luggage) where my beloved, wonderful, thoughtful, amazing, godsend of a sister met me from Baltimore and stayed with Maddie and I (did I mention I love her and she's amazing? She even brought me a toothbrush and fresh undies). We got up at 5am this morning (second morning in a row) to make it on the 7:30am flight. I got to see the same grumpy people in the same clothes even more grumpy than they were the day before... it was fun. Maddie was a little less than stellar on the flight - but the poor thing had such a rough day and night (sleeping in a hotel room with no pjs, swaddle, bassinet, etc) I didn't really care.

Anywhoo... I don't think Ive ever felt such a sense of relief in my life as when I saw my parents at the airport. Just to be able to hand Maddie to her Nana to hold was like a huge weight had been lifted and I could relax. Ive been business traveling for 8+ years and this was by FAR the hardest travel experience Ive ever had. No one seemed to care or even notice that I was lugging around a fussy baby, a stroller, carseat, a baby bjorn (which Maddie was in most of the time) a diaper bag and another diaper bag all while trying to change tickets, call US Airways, call my family to keep them in the loop, get another ticket, etc etc. I was about to slap those stupid crackberry's outof all those fools hands as I walked by them. Yes - I had a complete meltdown at the airport. My mom called to check on me and I lost it. Luckily all of the stupid male 30-something bsiness travelers around me were too involved with their crackberry's to notice. But...we made it thru and what doesnt kill you makes you stronger right?

Well- that post turned into something it wasn't intended to but that's the long drawn out story of our trip home!! We made it and are safe and happy now. Everythings covered in snow and we're headed out to get a Christmas tree tomorrow. I'm sure I'll have lots of fun pics to post but for now I need to catch up on some MUCH NEEDED sleep!

Ciao for now!

2 comments:

John said...

ouch. no fun at all. it will be a good story for maddie when she grows up.

Mere said...

WOW i was looking forward to hearing about maddie's first snow- but now im going to go cry- BUT YOU MADE IT!!!! YEAH!!!!