Monday, July 23, 2007

Our weekend in the North Carolina Mountains

We made our way up to Boone and Blowing Rock, North Carolina this weekend for the Apex Golf Associations Summer Golf Tournament for Jim and some rest and relaxation for me. The NC mountains are so pretty and we always have such a nice time up there. We figured it would be our last "getaway" for awhile and it would be Jims last chance to play with the Apex guys until next Spring (because no - he is not going to the Pinehurst tournament in September).

We drove up Thursday morning and hit the Linville Caverns and the Linville Falls before making our way around Grandfather Mountin on the Blue Ridge Parkway and then eventually to meet the rest of the crew in Boone. Yes, I actually crawled around in the caverns and "hiked" to the falls being 8 months pregnant. I use the term "hiked" pretty loosely because it was only about 1 mile each way to the falls and back. It was enough for me though!


The caverns were really cool. Literally. The temp was 56 degrees down there (year round!) so that felt great. We had a cute grandpa with his two grandsons in our group with us and they kept us entertained. Here I am SQUEEEEZING into this tiny crevasse.


Next stop was the falls. They certainly weren't big falls, but it wasn't a big hike either so you get what you pay for. Apparently there were bigger falls another mile UP the trail, but I had had enough hiking by that time and was pretty sure that Jim would have to carry me back to the car if we had gone much further.

The rest of the weekend Jim spent playing golf with the guys and I spent relaxing by the pool and reading Harry Potter. No... Im not on the new book yet, I decided to reread books 5 and 6 first. I finished book 5 in Boone and started book 6. I just bought book 7 today - so Im determined to get thru 6 so I can move onto the new one!

Back to the weekend - I really love both Boone and Blowing Rock. They are very cultural, cute mountain towns complete with quaint downtown strips and good restaurants. I didn't take many pictures of the downtown areas but I will share what I did take.

This one is by far my favorite. Its called Tuckers on Main and its a coffee/bookshop where the shops namesake is an old golden named Tucker! Of COURSE, I had to go and get a coffee. Here he is. I get the feeling this is what he does all day. Not a hard worker - but I think he attracts a lot of customers.


I also took quite a few pictures of the flowers around town because they were absolutely beautiful (these pics are in the album to the right)! They were everywhere. I think every shopkeeper and innkeeper had flowers somewhere on their property and even the windy roads coming in and going out of the towns were covered in wildflowers. I wish I could have captured them better - but I feel like the beauty of flowers is really hard to capture with a camera. You really have to see them in person.

And last but not least... the whole reason went to the mountains... Jim playing golf. He really didnt play well on this hole so he won't be happy this picture is up here, but it was a beautiful course with 360 degree views of the mountains. Lucky guy!

No comments: