Here's some info on the baby...
By now, your baby is just shy of 4 pounds and is nearly 17 inches long, taking up a lot of space in your uterus. You're gaining about a pound a week and roughly half of that goes right to your baby. In fact, she'll gain a third to half of her birth weight during the next 7 weeks as she fattens up for survival outside the womb. She now has toenails, fingernails, and real hair (or at least respectable peach fuzz). Her skin is becoming soft and smooth as she plumps up in preparation for birth.
I had an appt last Monday and everything looked good. I was measuring a little small actually, so the diabetes is not having an effect of the baby as far as we can tell. I had only gained 2 lbs in 2 weeks which was good (1lb a week the last trimester is "average"). I would like to stop gaining weight all together because Im definitely on the high end of the weight gain average, but I know the baby needs all that space and cushion in there to grow. The doctor told me I was doing well on the diabetes diet and to keep it up. She pointed out a few high levels but said that all in all I looked good. I've started my 2 week appointments, so I go back again this Friday.
Jim and I did a tour of our hospital a few Sundays ago. It was good, but I found it a little scary. Its nice that the rooms are all singles - but you walk into the L&D room and there's just this bed in the middle of the very large, open room with what looks like straps (but they're really the monitor straps for the NST) and a big spotlight illuminating the bed. Yes, I want my dr to be able to see everything going on down there - but does it have to look like Im about to sing a number on Broadway? Geez. It was comforting to see where we'll be spending a few days and the rooms are all very nice.
We start our childbirthing class next week. I'm sure I'll have a lot to blog about then. For those of you that know me, you know Im really not that squeemish, and I've been in my fair share of hospitals for random breaks, injuries and illnesses... and although I KNOW bazillions of women give birth every day and its "natural" ... I am a little scared of it. So much so that I don't want to know. I don't really want to know all the explicit, gruesome details. I just want to do it. I don't like to sit around thinking about how horrible it will be... I just like to get in there and focus and get the job done. Yes, I think its important to be "prepared" so tell me what I need to know. So - Im hoping the childbirthing class will be more about logistics and less watching actual births on DVD. We'll see. I'll let ya know.
No comments:
Post a Comment