Wednesday, May 30, 2007

26 weeks

We're at 26 weeks this week and by looking at my belly picture, Im starting to realize why people think Im having twins. Im HUGE! Look at me! Yikes. 3 more months to go...


Notice that we no longer have a red background for my belly progression pics. For now we have primer background until we get the walls painted. Hopefully next weekend. Im sad to see the red room go, but excited to see the nursery start to take shape!!

I got some bad news this week. I failed the 3 hr glucose test and was officially diagnosed with gestational diabetes. 2-3% of pregnant women get it and it will go away once I have the baby. Simply put, a hormone secreted by the placenta blocks insulin production. Most pregnant women just make more insulin, but some women can't and are diagnosed as having gestational diabetes. I have to watch my diet closely (no more carbs!), exercise regularly and check my blood sugar 4 times a day. I was okay with it until I went to Whole Foods to try to find some meal options and low carb snacks. That was truly depressing. Even things I thought were "healthy" have way too many carbs for me to eat. I spoke with a friend thats been living very successfully with diabetes and he gave me the tip that WalMart has a huge selection of diet and low carb foods. I guess it makes sense... they're catering to the overweight middle class Americans... right?? HA! I might have to suck it up and shop at WalMart. Yuck. I might try Target first. So, Im sure itll get easier as time goes on... but these first few days have been hard. No more ice cream, no more watermelon... none of the stuff Ive been craving. Whats the point of being pregnant if I can't have ice cream???

2 comments:

Erin said...

First of all, you look gorgeous in your latest belly shot! And try not to worry about the GD- three months is short time. (easy for me to say since I'm not living with it.)

And by the way, I LOVE the Wal-Mart comment! I couldn't agree more!! ;)

Wintermute said...

twins? are you sure you're not having quadruplets?