Thursday, June 4, 2009

the milton boys and the closest i'll ever get to being martha stewart

We had a really fun Memorial Day with the Miltons. They have a fabulous screened in porch (that really really made me wish we had a screened in porch) and treated us to yummy kabobs with all the fixins.

Maddie loves Carter and Noah. She sees them at school and church and out to dinner... and well, we hang out with them quite a bit. What was great was that their house is kid proof and full of toys that Maddie had never seen or played with before! She had a blast. We could barely keep track of her while we were there. She spent lots of time in Noah's cool toy-filled room.
So I decided to make one of those jello flag cakes to celebrate Memorial Day and try to be domestic-y. I had never made one bfeore but who doesnt love fruit, whipped topping and jello, right?

It didnt come out quite as well as I had expected (the story of my life). I think the trick is to use small and thin strawberries as the stripes (which might be hard to find, especially in strawberry season) and make sure you wait until the jello is hardened a little bit (they recommended 10 minutes in the fridge which wasnt enough) so that it doesnt soak into the sponge cake. It tasted great- it was just pretty messy to eat. Also, make sure you buy two tubs of whipped topping instead of the one the recipe recommends. You'll need it.
mmmmm.... yummy

Here's a picture of Ivey and Carter. He's a cutie and I cant believe how fast he's growing up! The poor kid fell on his head 4 times while we were there... boys! He is a man of steel and bounced back every time.

Sweet

We had a kids table out on the porch for Maddie and the boys to eat dinner on. It worked out great. Ive decided we really need one of those little tables at our house for Maddie to eat on, color, play with play-doh, etc. Not sure where it will go... but once I figure that out I'll be on the hunt for one.

Noah teaching Jim which Transformer does what

How cute are they? And yes, Noah's eating with chopsticks. He's very cultured

Posted by Picasa

No comments: