If you are at all sensitive to the feelings of a pregnant woman you know - please take the following to heart. There are certain things I have heard over and over again during my pregnancy from women who have had kids, woman who haven't had kids and of course- men, that drive me absolutely insane. See this as a kind of public service announcement of sorts...
Things not to say to a pregnant woman...
1. Wow, you're life is about to change. No more (eating out, going to the movies, having a life, insert whatever you want to here) for you.
No way, really? We thought we'd be able to just give her a rawhide bone to chew on and we could go on with life as we please. Of COURSE we knew our lives were about to change. We're both intelligent 32 years olds who see our friends having families all around us! Why do you think we waited so long to have kids! We waited because we wanted to be ready and we are. We had a lot of fun in our 20's being irresponsible and traveling and all that fun stuff - and now we're ready to have a child.
2. We never had that when I was raising kids and my kids turned out just fine.
True... but they also didnt have carseats and you didn't use seatbelts and we all probably ate lead paint and played with objects that could become a choking hazard... but does that mean that I should do that too? I know we don't NEED a lot of the things we have for the baby including playmats and diaper genies and such... but if people are willing to buy them for us as gifts or we have the money to buy them ourselves, is it really harming anything
I just keep reminding myself that they're just jealous that they didnt get all these cool toys when they had kids.
3. Wow, you're huge! Are you due this month?
I just keep reminding myself that they're just jealous that they didnt get all these cool toys when they had kids.
3. Wow, you're huge! Are you due this month?
I actually got this comment quite a bit when I was around 6 months along. Now, this one is not so bad because I truly don't think people mean anything by the comment (except that I look big) but when you hear it two, three even four times in a week it starts to wear on you. Im not that big - Im right on schedule and am the size I'm supposed to be. When I told people I still had 3 months they looked shocked. Im sure they won't ask again.
That's all I'll humor you with for now. There are lots more but I don't to have all the fun in just one sitting. If you have some of your own - please contribute! I know you other pregnant ladies out there do!
That's all I'll humor you with for now. There are lots more but I don't to have all the fun in just one sitting. If you have some of your own - please contribute! I know you other pregnant ladies out there do!
4 comments:
You are hilarious! I enjoy reading your blog. Keep it up!
Ellen
Loved it Em! My favorite is the "Oh, your life is going to change!" Of course there are major changes, but really it's not that drastic. I'm starting to get comments about Diego and the baby being so close in age and a lot of people have asked me if it was planned. YES! it was planned, thank you very much! :)
OMG- great post, Emmie! My faves have been, "Are you sure there's just one in there?" and "We never needed that when we had kids and they are just fine." (My grandmother's personal favorite, bless her heart!) You just smile and say, "I know- things have changed, huh?"
BTW, too funny about you ordering wall words, too! love it!
I don't think you could have said it any better. The worst for me was when I told people I was having another boy. They would sigh, look at me in a sympathetic way and while shaking their head say, "You can always try again for a girl". It really burned me up because I was ecstatic to have another sweet baby boy and they totally rained on my parade!
Post a Comment